3 Fire Safety Tips for Your Home

The agents of Capital Insurance often have to process claims having to do with house fires in Spokane, WA. Many of these claims could have been avoided if the homeowner would have taken simple precautions and reduced their fire hazard risk. A few simple tips can save your home from devastating loss and keep your family safe and secure.

Avoid Using Extension Cords

Too many extension cords can overload your outlets, causing them to overheat and start a fire. Keep their use to a minimum and only use them when absolutely necessary. The same is true for surge protectors or strips. 

Don’t Leave Your Stove Unattended

It only takes a few seconds for a pot to boil over a pan to splash hot grease onto the stove. This can lead to a flash fire that can be extremely difficult to put out. Don’t risk losing your home to an unexpected fire.

Don’t Run Cords Under Rugs or Furniture

Running cords under rugs and furniture can cause them to fray. Bare wires are extremely dangerous and pose not only a fire hazard, but can also shock you as well. Place items that need to be plugged in as close to an outlet as possible. If you need to use an extension cord, run it along the wall so it can remain out in the open. 

In Spokane, WA, the agents of Capital Insurance can assist homeowners in keeping their risk of a house fire low. Paying attention and knowing what causes risk are important factors. If you would like to speak to an agent or have your current homeowners’ policy reviewed, call and set up a meeting with an agent today.